The American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) has taken this development into account and created a classification in which supervised and unsupervised examinations in sleep laboratory are listed as types 1 and 2. The new HSAT (Home Sleep Apnea Testing) solutions that cover the required parameters are classified as type 3. Diagnostic solutions or approaches in which fewer parameters are recorded are listed as type 4 or classified as “other´.
The most important factors for the suitability of an HSAT solution
To ensure an accurate diagnosis (type 3 of the AASM classification), the solution should measure at least the following parameters:
- ECG or heart rate
- Oxygen saturation
- At least two respiratory parameters (such as respiratory airflow and respiratory movement)
- The solution needs to have medical certification.
When it comes to patient convenience, criteria to consider include:
- Easy operation of the device to avoid complicated instructions and possible operating errors.
- Comfortable use, for which small and lightweight devices without numerous cables are a great advantage.
For the medical staff who make the diagnoses, there are additional factors that affect the effective use of the solution:
- Offline and online functions: There are HSAT solutions that work offline and collect data for evaluation in the device, as well as solutions that, with the patient's consent, transfer the data directly to the supervising medical personnel or support both usage options. Remote support with direct data transmission offers advantages for prompt diagnosis. However, when it comes to data transmission it is particularly important that the device meets the highest standards for information security.
- Data analysis: To make the work of medical staff easier, the latest generation of solutions offers an option for pre-analyzing the measurement data with the help of artificial intelligence. In this way, important patterns for making a diagnosis can be identified more quickly.
- Data management: Safe and simple data management also plays an important role for clinics and medical service providers. End-to-end solutions enable integration into online platforms for evaluation, analysis, reporting and management of the corresponding medical and patient data such as the Bittium MedicalSuite™.